I love D.C. and its intellectual, sophisticated culture. But having lived in a big city all my life (Hong Kong then San Francisco), I was ready for something different. An introvert at heart, I wanted a quaint neighborhood that offers easy access to amenities, shops, and the metro without all the crazy people and traffic.
Rockville is an upscale suburb 30 minutes north of D.C. and home to one of the largest Chinese communities in Maryland. My house is located in a quiet cul-de-sac next to a parkland, and features a stunning main level room with designer quartz kitchen, custom maple cabinetry, and Bosch stainless steel appliances.
I stumbled upon the Zillow listing one evening, and asked Tracy to go see it in person and take some videos/photos for me. We spent hours afterward reviewing the comps and disclosures and debating whether to proceed with an offer. I even had her go back and take more videos and photos at different times of the day and during different weather conditions. Hoping to preempt the open house, we decided to submit an offer three days later without my having seen the house in person (eeeek!) Much to our surprise, our below-asking offer was accepted just a few hours later.
Remember my list of 10 must-have’s? Here’s how things actually turned out:
- Single family house – three-level, single family house
- Excellent school district – 15-minute walk from one of the best high schools in the county
- Hardwood floors – the main and basement floors are high-end maple hardwood, but the upper bedroom floor is carpeted
- Manageable yard with privacy – nice, sizable lot but a bit close to the neighbors
- 2 bathrooms – it has 2 full bathrooms upstairs and a half bathroom in the finished basement
- 3-4 bedrooms – it has 4 bedrooms upstairs
- No swimming pool – no pool, but there are two large, beautiful aquatic centers nearby
- One-car garage – a carport and plenty of street parking
- One bathtub – the second full bathroom upstairs has a whirlpool tub
- Move-in ready – the only projects are installing hardwood floor upstairs and repainting the bedrooms, both of which are optional (I just can’t stand carpeted floor and chipped paint!)
Overall, I am extremely happy with the purchase, and cannot wait to start filling it up with IKEA furniture! (Just kidding… I still have some money left.)